Translate

Saturday, November 12, 2011

The start of a new project - Glasair I td (tail dragger) October 2011

So, you try to balance life by finding deals to obtain your goals. This is about a goal I had put off as it never really made sense, to build your own plane....sounds crazy. I remember in College, a friend had asked when will I make my own plane? I didn't have plans to ever build, design or spend the time creating a flying vehicle as it seemed way out of reach and impractical. Trusting myself as a builder was not an option and it seemed too complicated, expensive and time consuming.

On the other hand, I've been enjoying flying hang gliders for over 30 years, a few other forms of aviation, and Cessna 150 flying for years now. The Cessna 150 is a great plane and never found any thing to match it's economics till maybe now. 10/20/2011, Craigslist had an ad for a Glasair Project. I'm not sure if I should have been looking but so far, its been a very pleasant dream to proceed with the project on my own, with the help of friends and study of the previous owner Sam, who had passed away of cancer. It's a great opportunity, an honor to take over a project with the great respect of a previous owner and his friends and family. Now, I know that Sam was a meticulous person. He'd been working on it since the early 80's and in his notes, was still building into the next century. If I name the plane 'Meticulous', its not about my work of course, but others that had been working on the kit, like Sam for the last 30 years.

In short, some of the pictures with captions explain the start of finding the project, some inventory, and the move to my house. I'll be posting more when I figure out how this blog site works. Let me not forget to mention friends like Bill, Steve, Terry, Robert, Dan and a few others, mostly pilots who've encouraged me along the way. It's been a whirlwind of a few weeks so far.

1 comment:

  1. Looking GOOD !
    - Craig Hamm
    Boeing IRC Process Engineering
    EAA Technical Advisor

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your constructive idea's and comments, thanks.