Translate

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Log 93 - Divided by 3 - The Pilot, The Squawks/Repairs and The Flight Testing

Trying to be organized here. It's really easy to just be a pilot. Well, maybe not so easy as explained below. As I've been told by the experts, don't just fly but clean up the airplane, troubleshoot everything and move along on the original test plan. I'm developing the test plan currently. I will also meet with the FAA regarding the repairman's certificate.

Today after work, I took the cowling off to check for any issues in the engine compartment. There was no damage or rubbing besides what was evident before fixed. Also beside the camera we accidentally cut out before my flight yesterday. I tried some short repairs and closed up to get ready for another flight.

Maybe 5 pm or so:
I taxiied to the big runway, 34 left and stopped for fuel on the way. Header tank was full and I added only 9 gallons to the main tank because I could see the level was very high. This was good since I still have to calibrate both tanks, fix the fuel flow readings and the fuel pressure readings. Physical check is the best, for now and maybe always. I taxiied out and took off alpha 7, 34 left. I climbed fast and before I knew it, CHT's were reading in the 400's. It was a little hot. I levelled off and soon was down in the 300 F ranges. I circled for about 1.5 hrs in turns, climbs, descents, and varying speeds and rpm's. A few army helicopters landed on the runway and took off right before my planned landing and I was a little nervous. I wanted a few minutes than first landing attempt. Not full flaps, a little fast, descent a little quick and misjudged my heigth. I bounced a little, power on and did the same down the runway with a little less amplitude. I went around for the first time (another first) for judgement practice and to cool the sweat off my palms. The next landing was full flaps a little slower, a small bounce and still a decent two point landing and smooth straight stop. The tower complemented that one, I taxiid back and parked. I'm a little tired.

I may take a fly break to work on that cooling issue. I have a few ideas written down for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your constructive idea's and comments, thanks.