Translate

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Log 65 - Safety & other updates

Thursday Dec6:
Ephriam and Brad Walker come by to check out my project. Ephriam is another great resource and this is the first we meet in person. He worked at Glasair in the past, has been a test pilot, lots of tailwheel time, and is building a G2 glasair. He had a few points like adding Tinnerman washers in wing/body fasteners  I'll do that. Also to check all control rods after rigging to assure tightness and engine breather to exhaust pipe. I want to ask my FAA representative about this technique and it is advisable  Brad has been there a few times with me and will help maybe next week.

Friday (5 hrs):
Steve Alford comes by to help. We adjust rudder cables, stoppers including a new 3" section of cable and bleed brakes. One more bleeding will be required on left pedal. We measure and have full rudder deflections both ways, no interference from brakes/pedals to firewall or anywhere. All looks good. We install a new fuel line switch to firewall. New fitting firewall to boost pump.

Safetywise - I received a message saying someone saw my engine run-up from the airport and is contacting me to say, "no running aircraft in the hangar". I had the door open, main gear and engine outside and a fire extinguisher but have this to say. I asked a few pilots who didn't know that rule. IT'S SO IMPORTANT THAT ALL SAFETY PRECAUTIONS ARE TAKEN! Later, I found that airport operations had seen my video on log 59 . The postings in my blog help myself and others who read this realize it's safer to push the plane completely outside, out of the hangar. I've learned and others who read this will learn.

Safetywise - Reading in Sport Aviation magazine, article, "Defending the Future of Homebuilts", I want to learn more of a few non-mandatory items:
1. Function tests of fuel systems - assure I have a good system,
2. Find more technical advisers for the flight testing. - more info on flight training, transition training, knowledge of second pilot as a safety observer, flight test familiarity and documents needed, and use of electronic data recording during flight test.

Saturday (5 hrs):
A little more adjusting. Small break to Cessna fly. Tighten rudder stops, and install 5 of the most difficult cotter pins on the plane aft of the firewall. Brake/rudder assembly complete less new springs. Resin and mill fiberglass flap inboard ends on flaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your constructive idea's and comments, thanks.