Translate

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Log 70

Came home tonight feeling like I've made a little more progress! In short, last two days about another 12 hrs working on removing old adhesive tape, removing and updating fuel injection airbox inlet, headlight and camera wiring, timing engine, engine breather routing, some interior, a new grommet through the firewall, checking fuse locations, checking header tank fuel status and relief routing and light wiring. I ordered a build placard a few days ago, N-Number decals, more firewall material and a few other items. I've narrowed down to two locations for my cockpit forward camera monitor. I'm getting very close to finishing with everything!

As I've said, almost everything is prototyped, tested, corrected then completed. I cut the grommet mentioned above six times before it fit correct in the firewall. It's amazing how easy it is to take a cabin heat cable, route it correct than after not looking at it for a while, rerouting because it looked incorrect than finding out why it was the way I first had it! Wiring and testing and fuel and testing...it all takes some time and focus. Steve and I did the timing on the engine over and over again, including the ignition, key switch and its timing. There was so many wrong ways to do it but we finally got it all right. We learned all about the magneto and it's impulse coupler.

We timed the magneto at 25 degrees TDC similar to the electronic ignition and it sounded really good. With Steve Alford observing, I started the glasair. It started within seconds of the key switch ON. It ran like a charm. I taxied around the east side of the airport to test the brakes and nothing was frozen, all worked very good. Engine temperatures all looked good but one connector to repair/replace on cylinder 3 that was fluctuating. It was another good finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your constructive idea's and comments, thanks.