Translate

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Log 101 - Scalded Dog, Test Flying, More Mods, Aviation Day & Repairman's Certificate

In log 100, May 12th, I mentioned a commemorative fly-by at Diamond Point, a very beautiful airstrip on the Olympic Peninsula. Check out this beautiful place here. Larry Warner got outside to see me and wrote me an email, "...the glasair sounds great! Moves like a Scalded Dog!" Since Larry was friends, neighbor and helper to the original owner, Sam, I've named the plane Scalded Dog, with his permission of course! Thanks Larry.

Regarding flights, let me start with a reminder that I'm in the 40 hour flight test portion of my Glasair 1 tail dragger. 'Dog's' first flight was April 8th and my first flight in it was April 23rd, solo. I have 10 hrs dual in an RV6 tailwheel, similar tailwheel to my glasair making 17.3 dual tailwheel time. I have 20.3 hrs solo in the Dog in 37 flights to date. I've landed it at 10 different runways, that's 7 different airports.

Lately, I've made mods for cooling issues like baffling changes around the cowling, access door support, cowling stiffener, 2 different inlet modifications, one ramp to cylinder #2, multiple inspections of controls, fuel system, engine, switches, seat, control clearance/aft bulkhead, labels, air outlet & pipe clearance, a tube of silicone, added louvers, adjusted prop multiple times on ground, documented most of what I am monitoring and learned more about flying, this engine and this airplane!

Aviation Day at Paine Field on May 18th, I wasn't planning on flying but went out for two flights that day after watching the show for a while. On the way back in to Paine, I requested the option and a fly-by. I kept a safe high distance but went by about 180 mph. Someone said the announcer announced this was a glasair flown by the builder! I was glad to hear that. I've heard a few times that the planes sounds great from the outside. It sounds and feels good inside too.

Last Thursday, two FAA gentlemen met me at the hangar. The had reviewed my build log and photos. With some discussion, they issued my Repairman's certificate, meaning I had proved my build and some competence that I could do conditional annual inspections on my own plane and maintain the airworthiness and logs myself. This was a step I had planned to finish from the beginning and glad to get it behind me.

This afternoon, I had a nice flight. The rain quit and I flew with sun, some rain and clouds. That's about it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your constructive idea's and comments, thanks.