Translate

Monday, May 27, 2013

Log 102 - Sometimes boring is good

More like, no incidents or accidents, all testing is moving along, all modifications seem to be working. I had a small ground spin out after landing but there was no damage and I was going very slow. Normally called a ground loop, I had slowed and was trying too hard to make an exit to the taxiway from the runway. Next time, I won't try so hard to slow down and will not release the tailwheel lock so early.

During inspection, I discovered a small fuel leak in an aluminum line from the firewall fitting to the filter. The internal flange was too small so I fabricated another line and seems to be perfect.

Bled brakelines again and changed oil yesterday. Tightened oil filler post and added a quick drain system.

Fuel System:
Previously, spent an afternoon draining all fuel out except 1/4 gallon or so to get to the gas pumps. I fabricated a tailstand for 'plane level', and calibrated my fuel level sender units to the Dynon indicators. In short, main tank is 33.61 gallons conservatively. Main tank indicator only goes to 21 gallons because of the dihedral of the wings. In flight, noted that roughly 18 gallons shown with tail down means 11 gallons in level flight. I will double check these numbers. Header tank is more straight forward holding 5.6 gallons. Saving sensor values in yellow notepad.

Flights:
Flight around the San Juan Islands two days ago was good but winds were too switchy to land at Orcas. Friday Harbor was good. Yesterday, flew to Port Townsend and Sequim with Steve Alford, flight of two.

To Do:
Compass needs to be reset during flight, check right wing strobe at powerbox, camera wires review and inspect, check passenger left rudder brake pedal, check header fuel vent for full 'high loop' behind instrument panel, temperary baffling change behind cylinder #3, engine and airplane log update.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your constructive idea's and comments, thanks.