Translate

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Log Post #100 - Glasair Flight of two with Long EZ

2013may10th  (2.2 hrs total) - Rodney Tong called to see about meeting after work for a flight of two. Rodney flies a Rutan Long EZ. We met up 4 pm at the fuel pumps and made some plans. I gave Rodney my camera for air to air photos he could take. Photos start around here . We cruised north by Skagit Valley and towards Mt Baker for some air shots and discussions and observations. My stomach was a little upset so we went back to Paine field for an hour flight. Rodney headed in and I went up for a second flight instead of waiting to top off my tanks as there was a line at the pumps.

I flew to Diamond Point on the Olympic Peninsula and briefly talked on the phone with Larry Warner. Larry helped Sam building parts of my airplane before Sam passed away and I got the plane, so a commemorative fly-by was due. Diamond point is a special place but private so I won't be buzzing there too much, but this was important to me and maybe for Larry and the late Sam Mrakovich. I did about 10 turns and fly-by's, then headed eastbound. I landed at Pt Townsend, then headed back to Paine field.


Observations - I don't have my list but here are a few: From Pt Townsend, my alternator circuit 40 amp breaker popped. I reset it than it popped again, so no air resetting. After some testing, the resolution for this is a 60 amp breaker. Drawings call for a 60 amp and with all switches on, the monitor shows about 50 amps. This is a good fix and nothing seriously wrong. The Glasair has 11 hrs of life since first flight. I'm thinking, open it up, take care of squawks, then fly again. I'll work on multiple cooling solutions, airspeed reading discrepancies, fuel filter and controls inspection, camera fix and a few other things I have written on the 'to do' list.

THIS IS POST 100 since the ADVENTURE started NOVEMBER 2011 link, but who's got time to remissness. I'm hoping to get it back in the air soon. I may have a small hangar 'get together' next week, weather permitting. Also note - Aviation Day at Paine Field .

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your constructive idea's and comments, thanks.