Translate

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Log 111 - Flights, fixes and Meeting Jack Wiegand

I had a chance to take my friend Kurt to Orcas Island and San Juan Island. We walked into towns East Sound and Friday Harbor respectively. We also flew over Roche Harbor and Stuart Island along with searching for whales but we didn't see any. I've landed the glasair at the dirt strip on Stuart Island. Last week, I landed at Monroe, First Field to walk into the Evergreen State Fair but it seemed very tight and lots of foot traffic and cars from the fair. I want to get more comfortable with small fields in the glasair.

Yesterday, I changed out my main left tire. It was wearing much more than the right tire. I think the reason is, this tire is at least 30 years old. It came with the original kit and I never changed it. I had a spare but will make this my spare now. I made a test flight of the new tire and it performed as good as a tire can perform in the air :).

I also wanted to mention an event that was early July. I happened to be going to Arlington for fuel and did hear that Jack Wiegand was making a stop there on his record breaking flight, the youngest person to fly around the world solo. He did this in a Mooney. Turned out, they were celebrating and he was there so we stayed to listen and gawk at his plane and hear about a great achievement. Jack info is at http://www.solo2013.com . He was very humble, still a little raw around the neck from his survival suit, very ambitious and just a great kid. This would be his last stop before closing his final leg of the trip to California, his home near Sacramento.
July 2013 - Jack Wiegand before his last leg of his record flight around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your constructive idea's and comments, thanks.